In May 2012, the Minister for Planning announced the Government had chosen a preferred framework for development contribution plans. The preferred framework will make available a new system of standard levies that can be selected and applied to different development settings.
The new system would give councils a set of standard development contribution levies for different development settings based around five infrastructure categories:
- Community facilities
- Open Space facilities
- Transport infrastructure
- Drainage infrastructure
- Public land.
The new system will provide capacity to set a different levy for different development settings such as greenfield development, metropolitan infill development and regional and rural development, as well as a levy for residential and non-residential development.
Report 1: Setting the Framework
On 17 December 2012, the Committee submitted its report to the Minister for Planning, Matthew Guy.
The Minister released this report and it is available here:
Report 2: Setting the Levies
The Committee submitted Report 2: Setting the Levies to the Minister for Planning on 31 May 2013.
On 1 May 2014, the Minister for Planning, announced the introduction of Standard Levies for development contributions in priority growth locations, the implementation of a new Infrastructure Contribution Plan and a streamlined approval process.
Terms of reference
The Advisory Committee's tasks were set out in the Terms of Reference:
- Terms of Reference - Standard Development Contributions Advisory Committee, September 2012 (DOC, 419.5 KB)
The Terms of Reference were accompanied by a Position Paper, A New Victorian Local Development Contribution System - A preferred way forward (July 2012), that outlines the policy framework and the Government's preferred new system:
- A New Victorian Local Development Contribution System - A preferred way forward (July 2012) (PDF, 689.6 KB)
- Accessible Word version of the Position Paper (DOC, 227.5 KB)
and three reports prepared by Urban Enterprise:
- DCP Levy Analysis, August 2011 (PDF, 142.0 KB)
- Indicative Standard levies for Local Development Contributions, Version 2.2, May 2012 (PDF, 397.0 KB)
- Review of Local Infrastructure Charges for Regional and Rural Councils, Version 2.1, June 2012 (PDF, 267.1 KB)
Establishment of the Advisory Committee
The Minister for Planning appointed an Advisory Committee to provide advice on the final framework for a new standard development contributions system and on the establishment of the standard levies.
The Advisory Committee reported its findings and recommendations in two stages:
- a report detailing the framework of the new system by Monday 17 December 2012
- a report setting the standard levies for the new system by Friday 31 May 2013.
The Advisory Committee was appointed under section 151 of the Planning and Environment Act 1987.
The Advisory Committee members are:
- Ms Kathy Mitchell - Chair
- Mr Trevor McCullough
- Prof. Rodger Eade
- Mr Chris De Silva
- Mr Bryce Moore
Inquiries should be directed to Planning Panels Victoria on (03) 8392 5116.